What types of accounts does Movement support?
Individual brokerage accounts, joint brokerage accounts, traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, SEP IRAs, revocable trusts, and irrevocable trusts.
What does advanced financial planning cover?
- Retirement withdrawal strategies to minimize taxes
- Monte Carlo simulations to stress-test retirement viability
- Measuring the potential benefit of converting Traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs
- College savings plan selection and investment options
- Social Security filing timeline to maximize benefits
- Calculating the appropriate amount of term life insurance if needed (I don’t sell it and typically refer people to USAA)
- Minimizing sequence of return risk in early retirement
In general, financial planning becomes more necessary when investors withdraw from their portfolio in retirement. Basic financial planning like cash flow analysis, savings suggestions, and debt paydown strategies are included free of charge for all clients.
What is the minimum balance required to open an account?
$200,000 for a managed account. There’s no minimum for portfolio consulting.
Can the minimum balance be spread across multiple accounts?
Who is the custodian for managed accounts?
Interactive Brokers. As a fiduciary, Movement’s major concern is “how do we best serve our clients?” We custody with Interactive Brokers because their platform makes portfolio monitoring simple, efficient, and (most importantly) low cost.
Are there any fees other than your flat fee?
What funds do you use?
Movement primarily uses Vanguard ETFs. The weighted-average fund expense ratio for Movement clients is 0.07%, significantly below the average advisor fund cost of 0.50%. Active strategies implemented with low-cost index funds are the foundation of Movement’s investing framework.
When do you send out tax info?
Early March. Forms are provided electronically via PDF.
How long does it take to transfer money?
Deposits take 5-10 days via check, 3-5 days via ACH, or 1 day via wire. Withdrawals typically take 2 days for position transactions to settle and the respective amount of time for your withdrawal form (check, ACH, or wire). Account transfers from an existing custodian take 3-5 days.
Can Movement help me figure out:
- How to invest my money?
- What to do with my company stock?
- How much to budget for college expenses?
- When I’ll be able to retire?
- How much I’ll be able to spend in retirement?
- What are my best 401(k) options?